Information architects?

Subject: Information architects?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 07:56:48 -0400

Bob suggests: <<I would suggest that the title "Information Architect" is often used by people who think it sounds better than "writer.">>

While I'll agree that some people use the term pretentiously, I also think it serves a useful purpose. Imposing order upon chaos (such as the information provided by product developers) is certainly one of the things we writers do while writing, but there's much more to information architecture than that. As a discipline rather than a pretentious title, IA combines usability skills and an understanding of cognitive psychology with profound knowledge of access and retrieval methods. Not all writers have these skills beyond the level necessary to create an effective outline.

The thing to remember about labels is that like all other words, they're tools for communication. Speaking as an editor, I'd gently remind you that not everyone--including writers--uses these tools particularly well. But those who use the tools precisely communicate things that the duffers can't communicate.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com