Re: Previous employer contacts

Subject: Re: Previous employer contacts
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:24:26 -0400

peemo -at- hotmail -dot- com wrote:

Second question: I see online applications asking for one's SS#. Do
employers really believe this is an acceptable risk for applicants to type
their SS# into an online form? Do any of you do that?

The sites where I've seen this make it an optional question. If the question is mandatory (that is, if the JavaScript won't let you submit the page until the space is filled), I would try to enter something like "contact me." If the script insists on a formatted SSN, try 111-11-1111. Otherwise, dump out of the form and call the company. They have no business mandating that you answer that online. Frankly, they shouldn't ask for it at all unless they first get you to sign a release to do a credit check on you.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com