Subject: TECHWR-L Premium Jobs, Events, and Announcements
From: "techwr-l owner" <techwr-l-owner -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
To: <archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 02:30:01 -0600

You received this message because you're a subscriber to
list members to help underwrite the costs of the list (just
as ads in a newspaper, magazine, or journal underwrite the
costs of those publications).

In this posting, look for the following ...
* REMINDER: LavaCon Early Registration Discounts end Saturday, 28 August
(NEW)
* ANNOUNCE: WebWorks ePublishing Webinars: The Fast Track to
Advanced Skills (NEW)
* STORY: SnagIt Goes for the Gold
* TRAINING: HANDS-ON WORKSHOPS: XML for Single Sourcing, Frame Boot Camp
* IMPORTANT: An open letter to the TECHWR-L community

and at the end you'll find the concluding administrivia with
information about these ads and how to place your own.

REMINDER: LavaCon Early Registration Discounts end Saturday, 28 August

Too many deadlines? Not enough time? Attend LavaCon and learn how to get
the resources your department needs.

LavaCon: The International Conference on Technical Communication
Management
September 27-30, 2004
New Orleans, Louisiana

Early registration discounts end Saturday, August 28th. Register online
at http://www.lavacon.org.

See you in New Orleans!

08/26/04-09/02/04

ANNOUNCE: WebWorks ePublishing Webinars: The Fast Track to
Advanced Skills

WebWorks Services has made accelerating your learning curve easy
and convenient with live 90-minute online training sessions. Here
are our upcoming Webinar topics for September:

* Getting Started with FrameMaker Structured Documents
September 13, 11 a.m. PDT (2 p.m. EDT)
* Delivering 508-Compliant Content with WebWorks Publisher
September 1, 11 a.m. PDT (2 p.m. EDT)
September 14, 10 a.m. PDT (1 p.m. EDT)
September 21, 11 a.m. PDT (2 p.m. EDT)
* Delivering Context-Sensitivity with WebWorks Publisher
September 9, 10 a.m. PDT (1 p.m. EDT)
* WebWorks Publisher Functions: Advancing Beyond the Basics
September 29, 10 a.m. PDT (1 p.m. EDT)

These interactive classes are conducted via WebEx, so you can get
the most out of your investment in WebWorks Publisher -- without
leaving your desk. To sign up or for more information, visit us
at www.webworks.com/techwr-l/webinars or call WebWorks Services at
512-719-3399 ext.503.

06/09/04-12/31/05

STORY: SnagIt Goes for the Gold

Dan the technical writer loved the Summer Olympics because he
loved a good competition. Since he was watching them every day,
they were beginning to bleed into other aspects of his life.

At a morning meeting, he and a fellow tech writer Pat were given
similar assignments. Dan felt a surge of adrenaline. He could
BEAT him!

Dan opened up SnagIt, the award-winning screen capture software.
The images needed to be heavily edited, and he knew just what to do.

Since he'd already mastered his favorite editing application, he
used SnagIt's EXTERNAL PROGRAM OUPUT feature. That meant that he
could output his images directly to any program. As a result, he
could quickly combine his expertise in the editing program of his
choice with his favorite screen capture utility. By doing so, he
cut out unnecessary steps, and was able to work more quickly.

He also took advantage of AUTOMATIC FILE NAMING. From a list, he
could easily select the components he wanted to include as part of
the file name ? like sequence number, computer name, and date.
Then, when he took any screenshot, SnagIt automatically gave the
file a name generated from his customized information. So not only
could he capture images fast, but he could remain confident that
his files would be easily identifiable.

He finished and sent his document to his manager.

He stuck the landing, waved to the crowd, and awaited his
scores ... but he already knew he'd won.

~~~~~~~~~~
Find out how SnagIt can help you work faster, easier, and more
efficiently! You'll be impressed with its capabilities ... and yours.
Just $39.95!

Log onto:
http://www.techsmith.com/products/snagit/technicalwriters.asp?DCMP=BAC-Techwrl

08/23/04-08/30/04

TRAINING: FALL HANDS-ON WORKSHOPS by Bright Path Solutions (XML for
Single Sourcing, FrameMaker Boot Camp, more!)

In addition to our publishing solution services, Bright Path Solutions
provides public training throughout the US. Our classes coming up this
Fall include:

FrameMaker Boot Camp(TM)
- multiple cities, multiple dates
- Our one-of-a-kind FrameMaker beginning-through-advanced training

XML for Single Sourcing
- Research Triangle Park, NC
- Limited seats, special dates in early October
- Class is already filling!

Creating Usable Indexes: A Systematic Approach
- Research Triangle Park, NC
- Limited seats in October training
- Taught by nationally-recognized expert Richard Evans!

FrameMaker Structured Document Publishing Boot Camp
- multiple cities, multiple dates
- Classes instructed by Kay Ethier (author of "XML and FrameMaker")

WebWorks Publisher 2003 (for FrameMaker or Word)
- Research Triangle Park, NC & a West Coast City TBA

More information on Bright Path Solutions, our clients, and our services
may be found at http://www.travelthepath.com. Please email specific
training question or consulting-related requests to
mailto:info -at- travelthepath -dot- com -dot- Please do ask us about our core
competencies and about our expert consultants and trainers (we use only
recognized experts-in-their-fields).

BRIGHT PATH SOLUTIONS
--Certified experts. Real solutions.
PHONE 919.656.2653
http://www.travelthepath.com

08/03/04-08/10/04

IMPORTANT: An open letter to the TECHWR-L community

After a great deal of time and thought, we have decided that
we need to disengage from daily involvement with TECHWR-L. Over the
past year or so, we've made some substantial changes in our lives,
and we no longer have the time or energy to do TECHWR-L justice.

Eric, after 13 years in the tech writing industry, made the leap
from senior tech writer to software engineering manager at a large
technology company. Deborah, after nearly 12 years as a tech writer,
is now employed in and studying early childhood education--a path
she's passionate about.

For both of us, staying on top of the daily requirements of TECHWR-L
is barely managable, and the content and site development that we'd
like to pursue just doesn't ever get to the top of the priority list.

What's next? Good question. We're open to constructive
suggestions and ideas. We've considered transferring the site
to a volunteer to run it, but have concluded that this isn't a
viable option for several reasons. First, managing one or more
volunteers effectively requires at least as much time and energy
as running the site directly does. Second, we have a substantial
stake in TECHWR-L, and we need to ensure that our investment and
that of the community is preserved and maintained appropriately.
Our experience with volunteer labor--both as volunteers and as
coordinators of volunteers--demonstrates that the long term
committment of time and energy needed to move TECHWR-L forward
isn't a reasonable expectation of a volunteer.

We've spoken with many of the key TECHWR-L sponsors and
advertisers, but for a variety of reasons, they're not in
a position to take on a project like TECHWR-L.

What's left? The person (or people) who take on TECHWR-L should
have a stake in its success--"skin in the game," as it were.
That could come in the form of an outright purchase, or some
kind of a partnership with us or with other investors. What
might that look like? We don't know; we want to work with anyone
who is seriously interested to come up with a solution that allows

We welcome constructive comments, suggestions, or serious
inquiries.

Eric and Deborah Ray

08/01/04-08/08/04

About posting ads:
Announcements on the TECHWR-L Premium Announcement posting
cost $50 to contact over 5100 TECHWR-L subscribers
directly each day for a week.

In an effort to provide a free service that allows you to post
announcements, jobs, and events, however, we have established other
services:

The TECHWR-L Calendar provides a free resource for you
to post announcements, activities, and events:
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/calendar/

The TECHWR-L Employment Central provides a free resource
for you to post, browse, and search job listings and personal
profiles:
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/employment/

The TECHWR-L Daily Summary Mailing, a separate mailing list
that summarizes new content posted to Employment Central and
the Calendar, can further help get your
message out to interested people:
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/daily-announce-info.html

These resources are available at no cost to anyone, posters
or seekers, TECHWR-L subscribers or not. We encourage you to
regularly use these free services.

For jobs, announcements, and events that you specifically
want to be mailed directly to all 5100+ TECHWR-L subscribers
in the TECHWR-L Premium Daily Announcement, please contact Eric
(ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com) or submit your paid ad at
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/postad.html.