Re: Important Stuff They Don't Teach In Tech Writing School Was Re: School vs experience...

Subject: Re: Important Stuff They Don't Teach In Tech Writing School Was Re: School vs experience...
From: "Nora Merhar" <nora -at- helloworld -dot- sh>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 17:14:31 -0000 (GMT)

I think meeting our due dates is one of the most important elements in
showing that we ARE professionals who take our work seriously. That DOES
mean having input on the estimates from the get-go, and I do understand
that a lot of writers don't. Nonetheless, we should not have to compromise
quality/quantity to get the work done. That said, I do get overtime pay at
my current job--but I didn't at my last job, and I still met all my dates
even if they were unreasonable (which they sometimes were).

Whenever I'm asked "when can you get this done?" I always say "when do you
want it?". That starts the negotiation. Always we are able to find a date
that keeps me from going insane and makes my program managers happy (so
that I am the preferred writer for many of them).

Whether or not you meet deadlines is one of the most visible means of
evaluating any worker (not just writers), company wide--deadlines are
important. As a writer, I don't want to be blamed for holding up a
delivery that everyone else has managed to meet.

--
Nora
nora -at- helloworld -dot- sh

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com