contractor rate

Subject: contractor rate
From: "Greg Thompson" <gthompson -at- conformia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:35:07 -0400

Hi All:

What do you do when a client quotes you one rate during an interview for
a contract position and then sends you an acceptance letter (by email)
announcing that they want to hire you for this contract but at a rate
lower (7 dollars per hour lower) than the one they originally quoted you
at?

I took the position but I did ask them about the rate change just to
make sure I wasn't the one who was in error about the original rate.
They said my original understanding was correct but then re-evaluated
their costs and decided they didn't want to pay the rate the originally
quoted me. I didnt like this but hey, I needed the money so I meekly
tucked by figurative tail between my legs and took the job.

I have enjoyed this contract. They have treated me well and this economy
some money is better that no money so I can live with this. However, I
do want to learn from this experience

How could I have handled this differently?

Greg

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com