RE: Installation guide for Enterprise application

Subject: RE: Installation guide for Enterprise application
From: Gordon Mclean <Gordon -dot- McLean -at- mclarensoftware -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:44:42 +0100

Hi Shelly,

We have an installation guide for our Enterprise project, and have worked
with our own consultants to best structure it. It is presumed that the user
is of 'system administrator' level with experience working with their CMS of
choice.

We structured the guide around the physical installation requirements
(production server, web server and client installs are all required).

It does require some manual steps, but we've made as much of it Wizard based
as possible. We are similar in that it is presumed that professional
services will be used, but in an ideal world, with a generic out-of-the-box
system (ha ha) they should be able to use the installation guide. One of the
arguments I put forward to HAVE an install guide was that it helped set the
expectation for the user on the degree of difficulty they were likely to
experience. It also serves as the guide that the consultants use as the
basis for all the installations, with the caveat that it is up to them to
work around system specific issues (different port numbers for connections,
etc etc).

I would suggest that getting customer feedback and expectations for this are
crucial, can you contact any of the professional services who have been
involved in the past? I'd possibly place them as your target users of an
installation guide, and try and engage them in some discussions about what
they want/need.

HTH

Gordon McLean
Senior Technical Author
McLaren Software Ltd.

This e-mail has been scanned for viruses, however, No liability is accepted for any viruses contained in this message or any of its attachments and it is the recipient?s liability to scan this message and its attachment for the same.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com