Re: Silly but important to me

Subject: Re: Silly but important to me
From: Greg Holmes <greg -dot- holmes -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 05:56:46 -0400

jsokohl wrote:

>So the issue is, would you let the action/result
>appear in the same paragraph (list number style,
>for example), or would you have the result appear
>in the next paragraph in another style (body
>indent, in my case)?

I choose the second approach, with a slight twist;
a bullet subordinate to the numbered list item.

===================================
1. Click the Yadda Yadda button.
* The Blah Blah window appears.
:
2. Etc., etc.
===================================

This distinguishes the information item from the
action step, yet makes it clear that it is
attached to step 1.

And for whatever it's worth (not much, I know)
I use "appears". It wasn't there before, it is
now, and from the user's point of view it may as
well be magic. It certainly isn't ambiguous what
is meant.

Greg Holmes

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com