FW: "The Technical Writer" Movie Was: Re: Just thought I'd pass this along

Subject: FW: "The Technical Writer" Movie Was: Re: Just thought I'd pass this along
From: "Robert Milkovich" <RMilkovich -at- ADVANCEDUTILITY -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 14:21:47 -0400

It was released, at least in Toronto (which is where most movies and
music are pre-released on a test basis). I went to see it. It was not
good. And its portrayal of us was not good. So I'm not surprised that it
hasn't appeared anywhere else. It ran for about a week in the cinema
that plays alternative and foreign films.

Basically, this technical writer lives in a filthy basement apartment in
Manhattan and writes manuals from his home. He was using an
ancient-looking computer by the way, and seemed to be documenting
DOS-like stuff. I think they chose that computer and that software to
enhance his image of being a real misfit. And the guy is an agoraphobic,
to boot. He eats junk food that is delivered to his apartment. The pizza
and Chinese food boxes litter the apartment.

Anyway, this sexy, rich couple moves in to the penthouse of his
apartment building. For some reason, the woman takes an interest in this
guy who seems to be a filthy misfit, and she decides to make him her pet
project - to pull him out of his shell. The method? Sex.

She lures him out of the apartment and onto the streets of Manhattan
where he experiences dizziness and disorientation - he hasn't been out
in years. She invites him to a party at her apartment, which he attends
reluctantly. The husband takes an interest in his coming out of the
shell, and encourages his wife to have sex with the technical writer
while he (the husband) is away filming a movie. When he comes back, he
wants to watch them have sex.

She eventually lures him to Central Park at night, and seduces him.
Somehow, having sex in Central Park at night seems to be a real
achievement for him.

In the end, he is pulled out of his shell, his apartment is cleaned up,
and he goes out and starts living a normal life. The affair with the
neighbour ends.

Sorry if I gave it away, but I highly doubt you'd get to see it
otherwise - it was baaaad, real baaaaad. Now you know why it hasn't
appeared anywhere.

Cheers,
Roberto in Toronto