Intro to Instr. Design for CBT

Subject: Intro to Instr. Design for CBT
From: "Janet Swisher" <swisher -at- enthought -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 10:58:02 -0500

I'm looking for pointers to a practical introduction to instructional design
for computer-based training.

For a prototype application, I created an online help system that includes a
tutorial on using the application. In creating the tutorial, I did not use
any explicit instructional design process --- just my "professional sense"
as a tech writer.

I have received very positive feedback from users at the client company on
the tutorial part of the online help, and essentially no feedback on any of
the rest of the documentation. This seems to indicate that the tutorial
provides users with enough information to start using the application
without referring to any further docs. As a result, in planning the docs for
the final application, I am placing the highest priority and focus of effort
on the tutorial.

In addition, the SME at the client who is tasked with training other users
has told me that he intends to use the tutorial as the basis for his class.
As in: "Work through the tutorial, and I'll watch and answer questions". I
realize this is not the best ID for a live class, but then, he is not a
professional trainer. This is another reason that I want to make sure to use
a solid ID process in creating the final version of tutorial.

I've had a little exposure to instructional design, through STC lectures and
the like. I'm looking for something that will help me work through some
specific ID process model on this particular project.

Janet Swisher
Senior Technical Writer
Enthought, Inc.
1-512-536-1057