Re: and then

Subject: Re: and then
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 13:15:52 -0400

Michael Strickland wrote:
> eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com wrote:
>> bounce-techwr-l-106467 -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com wrote on 09/01/2004 04:26:30
>> PM:
>>> I'm talking about standard usage of English.
>>
>> But Bonnie, who's standard? The prescriptive grammarian's which may
>> result in stilted instructions that may be confusing or put-off the
>> audience or the accepted usage of the audience?
>>

>> And Bonnie replied:
>>
>> Do you mean "whose standard"? And do you mean "put off"? And how
>> can you put off "the accepted usage of the audience"?
>
> I think the fact that Bonnie has now resorted to pointing out the
> grammatical errors in these very messages, rather than addressing the
> content of the messages, says it all.

That was mean of me. I think Eric and I are coming to a point of mutual
understanding, Michael.
How about we agree not to point out that others may not be shedding the
precise kind of light that we want on an issue, or that we not accuse
people of posting with an absence of reason?? Those insults were
uncalled for.

Bonnie Granat
www.GranatEdit.com
Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA