RE: Research (WAS: Nipping Noses (Was: Not done on the blank page yet!))

Subject: RE: Research (WAS: Nipping Noses (Was: Not done on the blank page yet!))
From: Michael Strickland <Mstrickland -at- entriq -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 15:08:12 -0700

I'm with Donna... This and other forums ARE a form of research. It can often
be easier and much quicker to just fire off a quick question to a large
group of humans, one or two of whom might have the knowledge and inclination
to give you the info you need. If it can save you 20-30 minutes of digging
through archives, searching the Internet, and thumbing through several
books, why wouldn't you try asking the forum first? (for efficiency's sake,
if nothing else) If I'm sitting in a room full of auto mechanics, I'm going
to ask around to see if one of them can tell me what kind of spark plug to
use, even though the information is documented in the 500-page maintenance
manual next door.

Those who feel helpful can help, and those who feel self-righteously annoyed
that the OP didn't do [other] research first can just "ignore and delete"
(though that's probably wishful thinking, considering how eager such people
are to demonstrate their superiority). Gosh, I'm not cynical, am I? It MUST
be Friday.