Re: contractor rate

Subject: Re: contractor rate
From: "Ned Bedinger" <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 14:15:35 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "TechComm Dood" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Cc: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2004 8:44 AM

> > "We've discussed the rate I need to take this contract. My rate is in
> > keeping with the prevailing rate charged by tech writers at my level in
this
> > area. You've offered me substantially less, so I propose that I take the
> > loss and start work now, and you agree to increase my compensation to my
> > rate after 3 months, subject to a review of my work on the project."
>
> You're treating yourself as an employee in this scenario.

Ach! Are we talking "employee according to the IRS", or more generally in
terms of employees as those who get most of "that which runs downhill?"
I must have missed the day we discussed the heuristic for determining when I
am treating myself as an employee.

> Remember, as a contractor, you are engaging in a business partnership
> in which you perform a particular task or set of tasks for payment.

Maybe this is a case of "If the only tool you have is a hammer, then
everything looks like a nail." As for me, I've been watching the business
terrain change in the last few years. What I see now is that if I'm not
prepared to recast my understanding and expectations, I just get left behind
with no work coming my way. V-e-r-y few opportunities have been
materializing for a writer who can use a computer and 10-year old software.
If that describes your skill set, and you want to find work, son you gotta
run it down!

So the context of my bid is 'extended negotiation' to land the work-- this
is business too, and don't blame me for letting it come to this. I'd prefer
to put on a suit, drive a nice car, park in a paved Vendor space, experience
professional growth on the job, and manage my work and business like a good
investment. But I find I also need to be prepared to go off-road in pursuit
of a contract. My techwritermobile is a monster truck, and I go after that
double-dealing mud puppy who takes off down the Burma Road calling "Catch me
if you can!". I don't believe you can fully appreciate a straightforward
job or business contract until you've pursued every prospect, even the
less-favorable ones, and shoveled out of a few mudholes along the way.
Maybe this is business purgatory, I don't really know, but I tell myself it
is pretty good sport.

YMMV,

Ned Bedinger
Ed Wordsmith Technical Communications