Re: "This page intentionally left blank"

Subject: Re: "This page intentionally left blank"
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 10:13:24 -0400

bounce-techwr-l-106467 -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com wrote on 09/03/2004 09:27:54 AM:
> But it complicated users' lives by requiring them to sit down with
> the binder and a pile of updated pages, go through the manual and
> replace the old with the new... which, of course, no one really had
> time to do anyway, so the whole binder-update notion was moot. Few
> people ever noticed that a once-blank page contained
> new information.

Which is perhaps true of small documentation sets that are mass
distributed or documentation that relies more on electronic distribution.
With large documentation sets for complex machinery, enterprise wide
procedures, and other large complex and evolving documentation sets that
still have a large dependency on paper copies, I'd wager that binders and
page replacement is still common. Certainly aerospace and mass transit are
both domains where the practice is still the norm. I'd expect any factory
with a centralised documentation set to work in a similar fashion. In such
situations someone is responsible for ensuring all docs are the latest
revision and the pages have been inserted.

Certainly, the idea of using point pages seems to be near extinction. But
all that has happened IMO is that the requirement of not wanting to have
to retype more than was absolutely necessary has been eliminated with the
use of word processing and layout programs. Seeing as the costs of
printing and sending documents was never really the driving factor in this
process, it is now more cost effective to revise sections, chapters, or
some other form of larger granularity than try and manage the nightmare of
point pages and page revision levels.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com