Re: Research (WAS: Nipping Noses (Was: Not done on the blank page yet!))

Subject: Re: Research (WAS: Nipping Noses (Was: Not done on the blank page yet!))
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 11:03:52 -0400

Michael Strickland wrote:
> I'm with Donna... This and other forums ARE a form of research. It
> can often be easier and much quicker to just fire off a quick
> question to a large group of humans, one or two of whom might have
> the knowledge and inclination to give you the info you need. If it
> can save you 20-30 minutes of digging through archives, searching the
> Internet, and thumbing through several books, why wouldn't you try
> asking the forum first? (for efficiency's sake, if nothing else) If
> I'm sitting in a room full of auto mechanics, I'm going to ask around
> to see if one of them can tell me what kind of spark plug to use,
> even though the information is documented in the 500-page maintenance
> manual next door.

Has anyone heard anything about a possible sale of the list? I have not
found searching the archives to be particularly productive, and I was
thinking about how nice it would be if there were a more effective
searching mechanism. I don't know what's wrong with the searching
feature, but I have never been able to locate information that I've been
looking for. More productive, by far, is searching in Google with the
listname and the subject, because all posts to the list are indexed by
Google.

Bonnie Granat
www.GranatEdit.com
Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA