Succinct comment on dictionaries in today's New York Times

Subject: Succinct comment on dictionaries in today's New York Times
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 12:29:11 -0400

During the summer, William Safire takes a long vacation from the On Language column in the New York Times Magazine, and it is given over to guest columnists.

Today's column is by Barbara Wallraff. Wallraff, "the author of 'Your Own Words,' is a senior editor of The Atlantic Montly and the editor of the newsletter Copy Editor: Language News for the Publishing Profession."

Her last paragraph is worth noting:

"As someone who regularly uses seven dictionaires--actually, way more than that--in print, on CD-ROM and online, I'm not here to tell you that dictionaries are useless.... But to extract from a dictionary all the knowledge that went into it, we need to understand what jobs the makers of a particular dictionary intended it for, to read the front matter and get to know our dictionary well and to be as skeptical and sophisticated about the information in a dictionary as we are about information found elsewhere."

[Nitpickers will note that the above quotations conform to Times style as regards punctuation, compound words, etc.; don't blame the author.]

Techwr-l tie-in: We often have raging debates in these precincts about descriptivism vs. prescriptivism in matters lexicographic. Wallraff, in the full essay from which the above is excerpted, and probably at greater length in her new book, makes clear that she understands how to differentiate among dictionaries in that regard.

Elsewhere in the essay, she points out the annoying unintended consequence of a style rule that says always pick the first of alternate spellings: that even though the lexicographer states explicitly that either spelling is acceptable and they are roughly equal in frequency, the mere fact of having to place one first inevitably leads to its being used with greater frequency.

Anyway, it was an interesting read on a holiday weekend. I choose not to access the Times online, a personal mischigas (don't bother writing to tell me to subscribe pseudonymously); so perhaps someone else will choose to post a link to the article.

Dick

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com