Re: Interoffice Relations/Work Productivity Dilemma

Subject: Re: Interoffice Relations/Work Productivity Dilemma
From: "L." <beantown_tw -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 08:53:51 -0700 (PDT)

HI Ned and Hi TechWR-L--

Thanks to everyone for the input so far. I think to
clarify, we don't have an issue with "undocumented
features" (we don't do software or machines, etc.),
and we don't have customers -- at least not in the
sense that we sell anything. Instead, we are really
the top of what you could look at as a network of
"business partners" who are together of their own free
will. (Pretty much like a trade union or some such.)

The only people (if anyone) outside our immediate
organization that will read this document are MAYBE
some of these business partners who are in a
subordinate role to ours.

As far as my poisition in relation to employee X: I am
sort of a powerless supervisor in the sense that I
have input and opinions in the employees' reviews, but
it is my direct boss who is the official "doc boss." I
have certainly provided my opinions on this one!

Anyway, the issue that employee X is arguing to death
is actually a policy document, and the management that
he is snubbing is not the doc manager -- it's one of
the chief directors of our whole company!

Since it's a policy document, the situation is
basically that the manager wants to write up a
new/modified policy. (Some parts override old policy,
while other aspects had never been set in policy
before.) The manager has decided that certain things
that factored into the drafting of the policy are not
for public consumption. In addition, there are some
back-office details that are DEFINITELY not for public
consumption, but employee X refuses to accept that.

(I see it as being sort of like at a store -- you know
what the return/exchange policy is, but it's quite
frankly not your business if the reason behind the
store's policy is that they don't want to pay the
extra credit card fees or because their cashiers are
too stupid to handle the transaction... Either way,
the policy is the same, and it will be followed.)

Writer X is pretty much demandig to disclose these
reasons for the policy update, bascially telling
everyone within hearing distance that the new policy
is stupid, and that if he can't make a "good document"
out of it (i.e., include the forbidden information),
then he won't do it at all.

Ned mentioned that many people often have good reasons
for sticking to their guns about what is "good
documentation." I agree wholeheartedly with that and I
am one to stick to my guns when I feel it's needed,
but that's not really the case here. In this current
situation, the "good documentation" argument is base
don the fact that everyone "deserves" to know what's
behind the new policy, and it's "fair" that the
business partners know EVERYTHING going on behind the
scenes at our organization. It actually sort of smacks
of the "user advocacy" argument from a week or two
ago, but taken to the point of absurdity.

Basically, I will just have to guess that employee X
has never filed tax returns or God knows what else,
because I don't see the IRS telling you WHY you need
to pay a given marginal rate or WHY it has been
decided that people with children get tax credits that
those without kids aren't entitled to. They just tell
you what's up and expect you to follow along, which is
pretty reflective of our current situation.

Last thing -- I guess whoever said it was right --
perhaps I was looking to just sound off and get
validation of my frustration, but I was certainly
hopeful for advice, as well.

Thanks to all who responded.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com