Re: Contract Length

Subject: Re: Contract Length
From: James Barrow <vrfour -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 08:28:26 -0700

Hmmm...not so much 'desperation' as 'exasperation.' I suppose that seeing a contract for 4-6 weeks immediately after being told that contracts of this length really didn't exist, sent me over the edge a bit.

Since that incident I have had telephone conversations with recruiters who have said, at one point or another, "Bear with me, this is my first week." Had I heard this before the incident with the '4-6 week' recruiter, I probably would have realized that I was dealing with a nincompoop.

- Jim

On Sep 15, 2004, at 8:01 AM, eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com wrote:

James Barrow wrote on 09/15/2004 09:44:13 AM:
I'm not quite sure what to do about this. I do not
want to omit these short contracts from my resume,
as that would leave a three month gap in time. Any
suggestions?

- Jim

Personally, if a recruiter was hesitant about time 'gaps' in employment
history or short contract lengths, I'd become VERY unpleasant with them.

Sending a "told you so" note after the meeting is NOT going to get you
acknowledged. Firstly, few respond mea culpa unless confronted. Secondly,
it sounds like grovelling to me and seems to show desperation. If they
wanted someone desperate, they'd have lowballed you already. Otherwise,
desperation just reinforces their suspicions about your work history.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com