Re: UK friendly?

Subject: Re: UK friendly?
From: "T.W. Smith" <techwordsmith -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 20:41:27 -0400

Hallo:

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:16:11 -0400, Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca> wrote:

> Christine Pellar-Kosbar wondered: <<I'm trying to make a US English
> manual as easy-to-read as possible for a UK audience. I've checked
> spelling and grammar, converted units to metric, converted paper sizes
> to European, and made sure dates/times are in the appropriate format.
> Can you think of anything else I might want to do?>>
>
> If you're not British yourself, or haven't immersed yourself so deeply
> in British culture that you automatically think in British, you'd be
> well-advised to hire someone typical (i.e., British) from your audience
> to provide a rigorous reality check on your efforts. All your hard work
> will be repaid by a much easier time for that person, and thus a lower
> editing cost, but this isn't a step you should really try to skip.
> Though most international audiences have learned to cope with the
> idiosyncracies of American English, it's a kindness to your audience to
> fully localize documents where this is possible.

Throw in something about footy, bitter, and lard butties, sprinkle
some U's and UE's, make 51% of the document passive, and you're good
to go. Just kidding. American technical writing is readable by British
audiences, no real worries (it's a little forthright, but c'est la
vie). For software, get a British software technical writer to review
your work, not just any old British editor ... seriously, outsource. I
did one job from America for an Irish company OEMing a Russian
software product, I never met or talked to anyone, it was all
Internet. Ain't the Web grand!

======
T.

Remember, this is online. Take everything with a mine of salt and a grin.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com