Re: Recommendations for helping computer phobics

Subject: Re: Recommendations for helping computer phobics
From: peemo -at- hotmail -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 12:35:00 -0600

Janine:

I would begin with an online exercise. It's not threatening, I would make
certain they do not have to "log in" nor are results scored.

I would make it very simple. With links to bring up the proper
applications when they are ready to proceed to that stage.

Some people I've worked with (young and old alike) who have no computer
experience just need to be given one simple exercise, with the assurance
they cannot screw anything up. Of course you may have to make the simple
exercise mandatory, or in my experience, many times no one will play.

It would be best to have one computer literate person with each group, but
sometimes that is just not feasible.

Pam

> I've been presented with a group of equipment operators; I'm uncertain as
> to their age distribution although our general Site's average age is above
> 40. Described as "computer phobic," some are neglecting to sign onto
> computer to read e-mail and participate in procedure review process.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com