re: contract length

Subject: re: contract length
From: "Sherry Michaels" <sherry -dot- michaels -at- docntrain -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 08:49:07 -0700

Ned Bedinger wrote:
<<I think that an agency that deprecates short contracts is probably
indicating that they cannot make money on short contracts. I have been told
so by a recruiter, in fact--they won't recover their administrative costs in
the few billables weeks. This is probably why your recruiter dogged you
'round. Next time it happens, let them know that you understand their
aversion to short contracts, and that you will not expect them to get you
short contracts. But don't let them line the bird cage with your resume on
the basis of short contracts. That's bad, and a tad obvious in an election
year.>>

Wow, I just couldn't resist response to this.

Understand that there is a difference between types of agencies and
recruiters. Understand also that there is a difference between business
models. Some models are loaded with infrastructure costs, including bench
costs. Others are loaded with Class-A office space costs. Still others are
loaded with multiple business costs besides placing tech writers. Finally,
there are those that have deliberately stripped those costs out of the
equation, and it's important to be able to differentiate for your own
decision making.

My firm is not an "agency," actually. We broker high quality results for
projects. Our staff is temporary, usually contractors. However, we do not
turn down short term gigs. In fact, we encourage them. We build our overhead
into every hour we work, and frankly, because our model is to not carry a
bench and to work virtually, our overhead is low. Contractors for my firm do
not carry the brunt of having to pull in revenue (that's actually my job).

Sifting through the maze of placement companies with the downsides and
upsides is confusing. But it is part of a contractor's responsibility to
understand the nature of the firm with whom they are dealing. To do
otherwise is to put your career into the winds and hope for the best; not
too practical.

Sherry Michaels
Michaels & Associates, LLC
11639 E. Wethersfield Rd.