RE: Pagination issues - pros & cons

Subject: RE: Pagination issues - pros & cons
From: mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 12:23:09 -0400

Broberg, Mats said:
> Eric,
>
> I have always looked at chapter-based pagination as something
> that would
> only be worthwhile in loose-leaf publication, but both your
> and Bonnie's
> comments are well worth thinking about.

> Regarding the generation of the XML data:

> In a pre-formatting step the wrappers defining conditionality
> around all
> paragraphs, images, tables etc in the XML data for a specific product
> platform are checked against a small configuration file which
> tells if a
> condition is true or false for a specific product model within this
> product platform.

> After that step, the resulting XML data is formatted using XSL-FO and
> XEP from RenderX.

I'll offer my voice of dissent. I haven't used looseleaf
manuals that are subject to individual-page updating, for
many years.

In other sorts of manuals (the kind that either are never
updated, or are updated in whole, rather than in part),
I've seen both continuous pagination and chapter-page
pagination.

I find it much nicer to get around a big document that has
continuous pagination. I also like the index better.

When I'm in the index and notice that I'm on page 571,
and the reference that I seek points to page 413, I find
it much quicker to find page 413 by eyeball guesstimation
of where it should be in the thickness of that book.

When pagination is by chapter, and some chapters are four
pages long, while others are 112, it can take a while to
get where you are going.

With that said, I also want navigational aids on each
page, telling me at least what chapter I'm in, if not
what section as well (the header is a good place for that).

Kevin

--

The information contained in this electronic mail transmission may be
privileged and confidential, and therefore, protected from disclosure. If

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com