Re: Errors and Omissions Insurance

Subject: Re: Errors and Omissions Insurance
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:11:21 -0700

Quoting Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>:

> So, what is the liability insurance for, exactly? And what about this
> E&O insurance? Good, bad, important, needed?

INAL and all the customary disclaimers, but you may not need liability insurance
at all. My understanding is tha if you do work-for-hire - the category that most
consulting work, or for, that matter, work done as an employee falls under -
generally exempts you from liablity in most jurisdictions.

All the same, a formal sign-off might be useful here. And you should really make
sure that you check with a lawyer who is an expert in work-for-hire. It's an
area of law that can often be tricky.

Healthly paranoia suggests that you might want insurance, but only wealthy
paranoia would do so without checking around with an expert in that area of law
first.

--
Bruce Byfield

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com