RE: Carpal Tunnel

Subject: RE: Carpal Tunnel
From: topsidefarm -at- mva -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 07:22:47 -0600

> But then, I stopped abruptly when they wanted to charge you
> USians a flat $19 for shipping, but wanted to charge this
> Canadian $79USD just for shipping!!
>
> Get a friggin' grip!
>
> Ahem.
>
> Kevin

Some of this is MAY be gouging, but most of it can be blamed on the
Canadian Postal Service.

Some time back, I sold a printer on Ebay. I posted that I would ship it
anywhere in the US for $30. I based that figure on packaging materials and
the cost of shipping it to the Left coast (I live in New Hampshire). Well,
a gentleman in Montreal bid on it and won. Knowing that I had stated in my
posting that the shipping was for the U.S. only, he agreed to pay the
additional to ship it to Canada. Was he shocked to find out how much that
was.

The shipping cost alone (no packaging or duties) was $68, and that was for
ground shipment that could take up to three weeks because of Canadian
customs. Mind you, this was for shipping a distance equivelant to shipping
from southern NH to Philadelphia, PA. Shipping it to Philadelphia would
have taken 2 - 3 days (UPS Ground or USPS Parcel Post) and would have cost
no more than $16. Ultimately, I shipped it to a friend of the buyer in
northern Vermont (for the $30.00), and the buyer picked it up the next
time he visited his friend (about a week later).

So please, before you blast "greedy" Americans, take a good close look at
your own government's greedy policies. I do not do business in Canada
specifically because of the shipping costs and the customs hassles. If I
were to do business in Canada, my shipping costs would be 3 - 4 times what
I charge here in the U.S. BTW, I regularly do business with several
sources in Asia, and my shipping costs are LESS than what it would cost me
to do the same business in Canada.

Ticked-off by another Canadian spouting off yet another baseless
anti-American screed,
Jason A. Czekalski

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com