RE: seeking info about movie and video script translation, esp. t echnical

Subject: RE: seeking info about movie and video script translation, esp. t echnical
From: "Goldstein, Dan" <DGoldstein -at- DeusTech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:39:27 -0400

Hi Jim,

You wrote:
"A good TW helps create an atmosphere for teamwork and cooperation. He or
she meets deadlines without hysteria. Sometimes he or she has to argue
points of contention, for the sake of a better document (not just for ego or
just for writing what he or she's been told)."

I would rewrite that to:
"Good technical writers create an atmosphere for teamwork and cooperation.
They meet deadlines without hysteria. Sometimes they have to argue about
changes -- not to preserve their egos or to blindly follow instructions, but
to make a better document."

>From a marketing point of view, I would also reconsider the word "argue."

You wrote:
"Ability to compromise is not an option."

How does an inability to compromise "create an atmosphere for teamwork and
cooperation"?

You wrote:
"A job is many projects and each project is a lot of work."

I'm not sure what your point is here.

You wrote:
"I do many things. Do you have need for one of my services? Big or small, it
doesn't matter. Good or not does matter, especially with regard to editing.
Especially with regard to translation. Especially with regard to just about
anything. Ask about Jim's services: doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net -dot- "

I would rewrite that to:
"I offer many services. Which one do you need? The size of your job doesn't
matter. The quality of my work <b>does</B> matter -- in editing,
translation, and everything else that I do. Ask about my services:
doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net -dot- "

Beyond all that, I would strongly suggest that you share your draft with
some of the other STC Chicago members, who are familiar with your local
market. You also might consider perusing the "Society for Technical
Communication Members list," beginning at http://tinyurl.com/68kcu -- the
various members' Web sites might give you some additional ideas for your
own.

Thanks,

Dan

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com