Re: Budget time is coming

Subject: Re: Budget time is coming
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 17:01:41 -0500

Depending upon your documentation volume, you may want to begin considering a
(future) content management system and how best to prepare today's
docs so that they will be useful in such a system with minor
modification.

I like the Aeron chair for most things, except they don't seem to hold
up well as conference room chairs, for instance. However, I am not
convinced it is the best task chair around for those of us who "live
on the keyboard." The Aeron is designed to move with your body
movements, and may not encourage the best support when keyboarding.

There are quite a few ergonomic chairs out there--and you should by
all means choose your chair very carefully. Before you look at them
very extensively, though, I'd suggest looking at some of the
ergonimics resources to see what has been found to be the best setup
for keyboard entry. Beyond that, much will depend upon your dimensions
and what gives you the appropriate support that *you* require.

My chair at home is a Bodybilt, very similar to the Neutral Posture
chair at http://ergodeals.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=55.
(There are two ergonomic chair companies in Bryan, Texas, which
resulted from a family split when the original founder of the company
died and the successors couldn't get along...).

Personally, were I setting up an office I'd look to get a highly
supportive stool and work at a "stand-up" desk. An ergonomic "drafting
stool" (actually a chair like the one above or similar with a taller
base and a foot support rail) gives you the ability to change
positions with the most flexibility. Problems with the back are
aggravated by staying in the same position constantly; with this
setup, you can sit with one foot up and one down, both up, or both
down--or, of course, you can slide the chair away and work standing
up.

As I mentioned before, the most impressive mouse I have seen is the
Quill Mouse (www.quillmouse.com). If you are a touch typist, they have
a link to a fascinating keyboard that eliminates the kinds of strain
that causes RSI problems. This is the combination I will buy myself
when I am next regularly employed...

David

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com