Can any authoring tool directly pick data from the database or XML files?

Subject: Can any authoring tool directly pick data from the database or XML files?
From: "Syeda Rabia Fathima" <rabiaf -at- sct -dot- co -dot- in>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 11:52:51 +0530

Hi

We need to create a dictionary for the messages in our application that users can easily reference. I have checked out various options, including generating an MS Excel sheet, a function within the application, and a CHM file. None of these is satisfactory. Currently our messages are stored in OCX and XML files. These might be stored in the database if the need arises. What I need to know is, if there is any tool that can directly pick these messages from the database/OCX/XML files and enable me to generate a user friendly output with minimum work from my side. The core issue is that we do not want to maintain a separate set of messages for the dictionary. We want the message content to be maintained only in the back end.

It is easy to do this with MS Excel, but the volume of the messages makes this option extremely user unfriendly. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Regards
Rabia

"Time is what keeps everything from happening at once."

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com