Re: Defeating the evil that is Marketing <g>

Subject: Re: Defeating the evil that is Marketing <g>
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 19:41:26 -0600

Just as there is a huge gulf that separates a "tech writer" from a
*good* tech writer, so too there is just such a gulf in marketing and
sales between the real pro and the also-ran.

In each of these fields, the very best are consummate user-focused
advocates. It is rare, though, to find extremely good people in all
three departments in any one organization.

It is not rare, though, for tech writers to be a *part* of the
marketing department, or at least answering to the VP/Marketing in a
company.

It is rare, though, for a tech writer to be able to determine where in
an organization they reside, and quite rare as well to have them
reporting directly to a CEO in an organization of any size.

I have worked in departments that reported to the marketing VP and in
others that have reported to the head of engineering. If that were my
choice, based upon my own experience and knowing nothing about the
personalities involved, I'd sooner go with the marketing VP.

Of course, I am also a marketing communications pro--so perhaps I am biased!

David

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com