Re: Tech writers as usability experts

Subject: Re: Tech writers as usability experts
From: "L." <beantown_tw -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 05:43:10 -0800 (PST)

Here's an interesting aside to how this applies to
tech writers. Please be aware that when I speak from
experience about the "usability expert" concept, I am
not trying to make a blanket statement, I am just
pulling up an example that show its downside. I
certainly have had many experiences, both personal and
observed, where things worked well, too.

Although we can certainly offer educated suggestions,
I have seen some TWs hide inside the cloak of the
"usability advocate" a little more than is warranted
or needed. I have seen instances where people who
weren't ready to do the actual *writing* about a given
job seemed to use this issue as a way to spin the
wheels while giving the appearance of progress. In
such cases, it was far easier (apparently) to get on
the high horse and claim that the real work simply
can't go forward until these recommendations are met.
Howevr, I think at least one of these instances
related to a personality issue, too, where that person
would absolutely not move forward with a project if it
didn't incorporate 110% of that person's recommended
changes. (This is in spite of the fact that this
person had *NO* idea how long it took to even arrive
at the project's current status nor how long it would
take to adapt it.)

While that is an isolated issue and probably quite
personality-related (i.e., refer to pretty much ALL of
Andrew's top 10), I think we'd all do ourselves
justice to evaluate how we can remove the "soap box"
aspect in order to promote better cooperation,
communication, and mutual satisfaction with the
finished product. How do all of you handle these
issues without seeming as if you're coming down from
on-high and trying to change things later than "too
late"? I think this is an area where we can all share
strategies.

Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
www.yahoo.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com