RE: 10 Things All Technical Writers Should Do

Subject: RE: 10 Things All Technical Writers Should Do
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:14:51 -0500

> I understand the difference. I wasn't sure you did by reading
> your blanket statement that screenshots were low impact and
> DFD's were high impact.
>
> Maybe we should say that the RIGHT type of graphic/image when
> applied correctly is high impact and the wrong type of
> graphic/image applied incorrectly is low impact.

It seems to me that often we have best practices from industry-specific
technical writing promoted as if everyone were writing the same type of
documentation. A DFD is profoundly unsuitable for a procedure that leads a
novice user through a software task that's complicated.

Bonnie Granat
http://www.GranatEdit.com
Cambridge, Massachusetts

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com