Re: 10 Things All Technical Writers Should Do

Subject: Re: 10 Things All Technical Writers Should Do
From: Tony Markos <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:41:23 -0800 (PST)

Andrew:

Data Flow Diagrams are a tool for documenting manual
and/or automated procedure. In the Yourdon DFDing
class that I took, the instructor made clear the point
that DFDs were first utlized over fifty years before
the computer was invented.

Back in the early 1890's there were no software
functions, just people performing tasks.

(FYI: Documenting procedure is a the major thing that
TWs do.)

What makes DFDs so uniquely powerful at documenting
procedure is that they result in a natural
partitioning of a system of interacting tasks. All
other procedural modeling techniques - including Use
Cases - result in a forced artifical partitioning of a
system of interacting tasks.

Tony Markos

--- Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

Tony Markos <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

Ed Yourdon (Data Flow Diagrams are for documenting
procedure) says that it is ninty-eight percent
(98%) of what needs to be done. Ninty-eight percent
of anything is alot!

> Ed was talking about software development. Which is
> not the same as technical
> writing. While the two share some common practices,
> as virtually every writer
> likes to remind us - programming != writing.
>
> Andrew Plato

Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
www.yahoo.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com