RE: Usability abuse?

Subject: RE: Usability abuse?
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 14:27:54 -0500

> > This is certainly true, as far as it goes. But let's go one step
> > further: You can certainly tell the designers that the
> steering wheel
> > it too hard to turn, that you can't reach the radio without taking
> > both hands off the wheel, that you can't see into the "blind spot"
> > when you turn your head (because of support pillars, for example),
> > that the sun visor doesn't actually block the sun for key
> parts of the
> > day (as is the case on my Honda Accord), and so on.
>
> This isn't usability testing, that is griping.

He didn't say it was usability testing.

> This is what I meant when I said "subjective creativity."
> What you find annoying, clumsy, or even elegant might not fit
> with the majority. Individual experience is not a replacement
> for mass market analysis.

He qualified what he said by writing: "If the way you work is broadly
representative, and you experience problems, then many other users will
experience similar problems--that makes you an expert in the use of the
tool, and an expert judge of whether that tool is effective."

> Casual use is NOT a replacement for industry expertise.

Geoff didn't say that it was, and I think he clearly made the distinction,
saying that valid user feedback can be helpful along with formal usability
studies.

> > What's the common thread here? You don't have to be a
> usability expert!
> > All you have to do is use the product.
>
> No, Geoff, you cannot be a usability expert from just using a
> product. I am sorry but its just not that simple. Griping
> about a product is not synonymous with usability analysis.

Again, he's not saying this is a replacement for usability studies. He's
saying that both usability studies and individual feedback are important in
ascertaining *actual* usability.

> And frankly, I think you're misleading writers saying they
> can do this with no training or experience. They can't and
> they shouldn't. We should not be encouraging inexperienced
> writers to go sticking their noses into an area of design and
> development that they are not qualified to do.

I didn't get the impression he was promoting what you say he was.

> Griping is a great way to get yourself ignored, shoved aside,
> and disrespected.

Feedback is generally not considered to be griping.

> > Just state
> > your case helpfully, as a team member, rather than
> proclaiming from a
> > position of overt moral superiority.
>
> Easier said than done.

Technical writers do this with great success all the time. It's very easy,
actually.

If you're documenting a product and can't find a simple feature, or driving
an automobile and can't see out the rear window properly, you're an
authority on using the product in your particular circumstances.

In order to do that, you must have
> some authority.
> Authority is never given, it is earned. Which means you need
> to earn some authority over usability on the project.

If a software element is hidden or too complicated to get to, you'd be
negligent in your job as a technical writer if you didn't mention it.

> Furthermore, usability is another area that writers
> notoriously use to avoid their real job. If a person is hired
> to write documents, jamming your nose into design issues may
> sit very badly among the team leaders.

If a GUI issue comes to my attention that I feel needs talking about, I
don't hesitate to ask a developer about it and explain my concerns. I've
found that most people view questions about GUI as just another topic;
nobody feels threatened.

> If you're job is writing docs, you had better master that job
> FIRST. Then, and only then, should you attempt to expand your
> role and assist with usability.

I feel it's a disservice to my client if I ignore things that may cause
ultimate market rejection of a product. Asking never hurt anyone, and the
notion that developers think I'm "jamming my nose" into design issues
because I ask a question or offer an opinion that something is a bit
difficult to find is an unjust projection onto developers of
unreasonableness.

Bonnie Granat
http://www.GranatEdit.com
Cambridge, Massachusetts