Text enrichment software tool?

Subject: Text enrichment software tool?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 15:04:42 -0500

Erez Perelmuter wondered: <<Are you familiar with a software tool that can enrich the text and wording of an existing English document so they will look more text-wise professional ?>>

There's no such beast. I'm not an expert linguist, but I do keep an eye on developments in this area, and my estimation is that it'll be at least 10 years before anyone comes up with a moderately useful tool in this area.

You can use Word's grammar checker (and presumably standalone grammar checkers), with various "style types" selected, to spot certain stylistic problems. The tool does a better job than you might expect, but not an acceptable job. If you want your writing to appear professional, you still need a good human editor.

<<For example to change “I am happy with your performance” may be upgraded to: “I am completely thrilled with your outstanding achievement,” What do you think of such a tool ?>>

You mean after I stopped laughing? I'd be extremely skeptical about any human who tried to write or speak like that. Why would you want to change the text? The original is fine, albeit somewhat vague.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com