MS Word glitch?

Subject: MS Word glitch?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:11:17 -0500

Christine Pellar-Kosbar reports: <<In MS Word, when I insert a graphic into a text box, it inserts fine.>>

Don't use text boxes; they're agents of the devil, and cause enormous grief for editors and for people who prefer to work in Normal view. (Among other things, depending on your version of Word, they're not included in the search and replace function. They also tend to become detached from their context when someone in a hurry uses this feature, leading to all kinds of grief from mysterious floating chunks of text.)

<<But when I create a second text box, the graphic from the first box is automatically copied into the second box. If I delete this second graphic, the first one disappears as well... All of the pictures are in the left margin. What (in your experience) is the best way to do this?>>

I've had good luck with using tables; in this case, you'd want a table whose leftmost cell has been stretched into the left margin. If you paste or insert a graphic into a table cell, it flows with the text that describes it if you insert or delete text above the table, it remains visible in Normal and Layout views, and it avoids the need to rely on text boxes. Worth a try!

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com