Re: question concerning OpenOffice.org files

Subject: Re: question concerning OpenOffice.org files
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:45:26 -0600

Jim,

OpenOffice has its own office file format...a combination of XML files
that is then zipped and given their file endings. (This is a published
format that is the basis for the work being done on a standard XML
office format; OpenOffice will modify its internal format to match the
eventual standard.

That said, it can export and import a variety of formats; Word .doc
and .rtf, for example.

OpenOffice can also export DocBook XML, which Frame should be able to
import with little if any problem (although I have not tried,
personally). Otherwise, you would probably do best when authoring for
import into Frame to save files as .rtf and use the usual methods for
doing the import.

David

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:38:04 -0600, James Jones <doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net> wrote:

> Just wondering. Does anyone on this list know (Bruce Byfield and others
> probably know) about the compatibility of files produced by oo? How do
> these files go with Framemaker files and Word docs? Thanks.
>
> Jim Jones

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com