Sequence of academic degrees after a name--any standards?

Subject: Sequence of academic degrees after a name--any standards?
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 19:33:08 -0500

Folks,

In a medical conference program, faculty list, note on the authors, and similar applications, is there a standard sequence for listing a person's degrees and accreditations after the name? That is, does the individual provide the list in order of personal preference? Should the list be in first-to-last chronological order? Is there some hierarchy of prestige that should apply?

I realize that in most fields people have gotten away from listing anything at all after a name, but in medicine apparently that is not yet the case.

I can't find anything in Chicago on the subject, other than a list of standard abbreviations for academic degrees. If someone could point me to another resource, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dick

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com