Re: Departmental Goals/Objectives/Metrics/Etc

Subject: Re: Departmental Goals/Objectives/Metrics/Etc
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 07:21:03 -0800

The goals I have written for my writers never mention things like page
counts or hours worked. They concentrate on planning document
projects to align schedules and documentation topics with engineering
and marketing plans, keeping projects moving and releasing documents
on time to support product releases. The metrics numbers I have used
are minimum percentages for on-time delivery and "not to exceed"
percentages for technical errors, and they are the same numbers that
have been specified by our executive management as objectives for
the overall engineering process. They key, IMO, is to tie your goals
into those for the rest of the product development process to reinforce
your department's contribution to the company's goals rather than
devising ones that will be arcane and meaningless to anyone who isn't
a publications professional. The president of our company and
management at every level between him and me can look at my
department's goals and instantly see how we support theirs.

Gene Kim-Eng

"Oja, W. Kelly" <w -dot- kelly -dot- oja -at- verizon -dot- com> wrote in message news:256541 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> Have another question for the group...
> I have been asked to assist on developing a departmental goals and
> objectives document. The thing is that all the data is rather soft
> numbers wise, but yet hard information is required.
>
> I would like to avoid using any BS or being too flowery in the document.
> I did a few searches through the archives but did not find anything
> pertinent. Kinda googled it too but to no avail.
>
> Anyway, any ideas or suggestions?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com