RE: Colored Code

Subject: RE: Colored Code
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 13:43:09 -0500

If you use CSS, and if you have a list of words/ terms that need to be
colored, you could (and this is the only choice I could see that would be
even remotely viable) search and replace like this:

Search for: "codeword"
Replace with: "<span class="blue">codeword</span>

You don't, in other words, have to do it manually. But if the list of terms
is extensive, it's not much of a solution. Is there such a thing as a search
and replace batch file or something that would take a list and do it
automatically?

Bonnie Granat
http://www.GranatEdit.com
Cambridge, Massachusetts
> Well, to clarify. I write in Microsoft Word (not my choice)
> or raw HTML. I combine it all in RoboHelp and then publish
> HTMLHelp and PDF files.
>
> The coloring is specific to lines (comments) or single words
> (function and method names, parameters and variables). This
> can result in 3 or 4 colors appearing in the same line.
> Trying to do this via a style sheet would be even more labor
> intensive than manually changing the code as I would have to
> add the markup manually (DIV or SPAN tags; on the grounds of
> maintainability and portability, I will not ever use FONT tags).
>
> I cannot see a way to automate this so, all in all, this
> would mean me having to manually 'massage' several hundred
> lines of code, spread over several hundred individual HTML topics.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com