Re: Placement of FAQ's

Subject: Re: Placement of FAQ's
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:55:38 -0600

Eileen,

You determine what the "frequently asked questions" might be. To use
this in a printed document successfully, I believe it should cover the
most common tasks the product is used for.

I share your disgust with having to search for product costs on
websites. To me, that should not be hidden away--it creates
unnecessary questions in the mind of the viewer and frustration in
locating one of the key questions.

Including a FAQ in a TOC is not rocket science, either...simply
setting a style to the question that is picked up by the TOC
generation process will include each question for easy perusal by the
audience...just as you should also include major topics within
chapters.

Using the approach I suggest does not mean a "mish-mash" of
material--or, more accurately, need not mean this. Quite often, there
are separate sections or documents known as "quick reference guides"
and a procedural FAQ covering the most common operations of the
product are within that tradition.

David

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com