Subject: Summary: Visio2000 ==> Word2000: File Size Problem
From: Derk Ederveen <derke -at- accountview -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 10:38:02 +0100

A few days ago I posted a question about Visio/Word2000:

> We use Visio to annotate screenshots. Until recently, that was Visio 4 and
Word 95.
> Now we use Visio 2000 and Word 2000. Since then our Word files containing
annotated
> screenshots are 5-10 times bigger, which makes it more difficult to
process them efficiently.

I promised to summarise. One reply, by Geoff Hart, was posted here already:

> Apparently, the solution is a registry hack that stops Word from
> creating the WMF file. Details:

I haven't tried this yet, because the introduction says it cures a problem
which occurs when saving to RTF of Word6.0/95 format, while we save in
Word2000 format. If you tried it with Word2000, please let me know, I
hesitate to play around with the registry unless it's absolutely necessary.

Two off-list replies were by Mark Makkuri and David Neeley. They suggested
to use SnagIt and/or TNT Screen Capture to create the callouts, but for
various reasons that's currently not an option for us, maybe in the future.

Cause of the file size problem seems to be the combination of vector and
raster graphics, which are to not combine well in Word's internal WMF
format.

Thanks to all who replied!

Derk Ederveen
AccountView Documentation