Re: Can you suggest a way to manage this process?

Subject: Re: Can you suggest a way to manage this process?
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 07:14:01 -0500

Yes, it's impossible. First, you'll need to ensure that the
reviewers all know what's up. It'll do you no good to get
comments such as, "This is wrong," or "See me about this next
week." Similarly, you cannot allow any sweeping changes. If
someone replaces three paragraphs with 15 new ones, there's
nothing that can be done to re-review that part in the time
available.

Yes, you should have a unique file name for each reviewer's
modified stuff. The correct way to handle all of this is to
scrap on-line reviewing and do it all on paper copy, but I've
found that battle already to be lost. Reviewers are enamoured
of their laptops, and don't want to bother with a sheaf of
flying pages. The major difficulty is trying to look at seven
reviews of the same page at once. Can you commandeer eight
machines that you set near each other? It'd be much less
confusing than trying to flit back and forth among eight
windows on one machine. With eight screens (one where you
make your notes or changes) you can tape a label on the screen
for each reviewer, "Grumpy, Happy, Bashful, ...", so you are
always sure which is which.

You may want to have the top reviewer available as you work to
help reconcile things. Then again, you may not.

Is it my imagination, or does stuff like this really only
happen to tech writers?

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:14:09 -0000, O'Shea ,Elizabeth <Elizabeth -dot- OShea -at- Elan -dot- com> wrote:

I have to send a document for review today to seven different reviewers. The
impossible goal says all their comments and changes have to be reconciled,
implemented, and signed off by tomorrow evening.

We use Word. ... [other difficulties omitted]

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com