On your own: Contracting

Subject: On your own: Contracting
From: "Sherry Michaels" <sherry -dot- michaels -at- docntrain -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:41:39 -0700

Brian asks: I am not asking the LLC vs S-Corp... that is too much a "it
depends"
question. I am curious if folks have any experience with any good agencies.
I have just begun my search, and have so far looked at a company called
PacePros.

For those with experience with these types of organizations, what have you
seen as the pluses and minuses?

Sherry answers: Brian, you can contact me off list. However, I would first
say you need to alert your client that he will pay more for your skills than
he does now. An agency, regardless of the form it takes, would have to add a
margin. If you form your own company, your costs will also go slightly
higher, because you will incur expenses such as E&O insurance, liability
insurance, invoicing, and so forth. Doug Florzak has a wonderful book on the
basics of forming your own "practice" "Successful Independent Consulting,"
in which he lays out everything you need to know. Amazon may still have that
book.

For agencies, you want to check with your client's company and see who is on
their "preferred vendor list." Many large corporations will only work this
way. Then do the "due diligence" of checking them out and talk to their
employees. Do not skip this step. Talk to several of them, because their
experiences will vary depending upon with whom they've been working.

Good luck!

Sherry
Sherry Michaels
Michaels & Associates, LLC