Re: This year's salary survey-same old same old

Subject: Re: This year's salary survey-same old same old
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 12:42:32 +0000

Wright, Lynne wrote:

That SO nuts! You'd think having more experience in your workplace (and all
the accured knowledge that that implies) PLUS the element of
dedication/loyalty to the corp would count for MORE!

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that, with the cost of living and inflation, companies have to up the ante to get any new workers at all. Career coaches do say that the best time to get an increase in salary is when you're being hired, and, if that's true, it means that long-time employees are at a disadvantage.

As for rewards for dedication and loyalty - well, like ghosts, I've heard of them, but I've never actually seen them. ;-> That's why I prefer freelancing. Except at few exceptional companies (and, speaking seriously now, I'll admit that they do exist), the rewards never match what the employees put in.

Just one thing though, about job mobility in males vs. females... i'd have
been out looking for a higher paying position with less grief years ago, if
i wasn't a single mom. I can't afford the risk of switching jobs, then as
the newbie, being the first to go next time NASDAQ tumbles.

Perception, of course, counts for a lot. However, when people ask me how I can stand the insecurity of contracting, I tell them that the major difference between me and a full-time employee is that I know when my work is going to be terminated. They don't.

Unfortunately, high-tech - where most people on this list are employed - simply isn't a place for those who value security.

This perception, though, is a major difference between contractors and full-timers. Finishing a job or being laid off just doesn't hold the same horrors for me as they do for a permanent employee. After some years of contracting, I'm reasonably confident of finding another job.

--
Bruce Byfield
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com