Re: This year's salary survey-same old same old.. HERE WE GO!

Subject: Re: This year's salary survey-same old same old.. HERE WE GO!
From: Lee Hunter <lee -dot- hunter -at- hum -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:54:31 -0500

Quoting "Wright, Lynne" <lwright -at- positron911 -dot- com>:

> - By the nature of our biology, women must bear children, so in addition to
> having to go through all the discomfort and sacrifice that that entails, we
> are supposed to accept being paid less than our colleagues, even if we come
> back to work after having a kid and perform at the same level as the man
> sitting beside us? FLAT OUT INSANE AND UNFAIR!!!

Well, that's just life.

If I take a couple of years off to go travelling, I'll be at a disadvantage to
someone who's remained in the workforce building up their resume, their
experience and their network. I'm not sure how it works in the states, but here
in Canada, the taxpayer provides unemployment insurance and a guarantee that
your job is available if you come back in a year. You can even split that time
with your spouse. But you're either in the workforce or not. And if you're not,
then other people are going to pass you by.

It's a tradeoff. The people who don't take time off to have kids make a big
sacrifice in terms of life experience. The people who do take the time to have
kids make a sacrifice in terms of earnings. Seems fair to me.

Lee Hunter - Technical Editor & Information Architect

------ http://www.hum.com ------- 613-282-1904 ------

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com