Re: Going wildly OT (Re: This year's salary survey-same old same old.. HERE WE GO!)

Subject: Re: Going wildly OT (Re: This year's salary survey-same old same old.. HERE WE GO!)
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 14:17:52 -0800

Well, it's hardly that extreme a choice (superstardom vs mediocrity). You
might just have to settle for "above average," or something like that.

I wish those surveys that track women's incomes vs men's would break
their database down between those of either gender who are single vs
married, parents vs childless, etc., and maybe quiz them about how many
hours they put in on the job in a typical week. Just comparing gender is
next to useless.

On your last point, all I can say is that every writer who works for me has
exactly the same professional objectives and is, to the best of my ability to
control, evaluated and compensated to the same standards. This has been
fairly easy to do here in the US. Accomplishing the same for some of my
overseas reports in countries where the cultures are "different" has been
more of a challenge.

Gene Kim-Eng