Re: The state of State

Subject: Re: The state of State
From: keithwriter -at- hotmail -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 10:02:10 -0700

I agree that standards for written communication keep dropping in the US.
I just hope that continues to mean there's a need for professional
writers.

I'm in the MBA program at a Minor State University (also not MSU), and the
most grueling course so far has been an integrated communications course
that monitors the papers and presentations we prepare for our other
classes. The teachers are far more strict and severe than ANY English
teacher I've ever had. At first I clashed constantly with my professor. I
mean, how could *I* - a professional writer - learn anything from this
overly fussy academian? But over the months I had to grudgingly admit that
her constant nitpicking really helped improve my writing.

I don't know how many other MBA programs have this sort of course, but
they should. It's made even harder by not having a set length: you don't
pass the course until you've met ALL its criteria, even if it takes you
several semesters. It's been challenging - hell, it's been flat-out
frustrating - but overall I think it's doing a great service for the
students who endure it: it really forces them to communicate at a
professional level.

But as for the regular English curriculum in most colleges, I agree: we're
doomed. Soon AOL IM-speak may be our national language. OMG LOL WTF!

Keith C
sigline-generation engineer

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com