RE: This year's salary survey-same old same old

Subject: RE: This year's salary survey-same old same old
From: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:36:51 -0600

> -----Dood wrote:-----

> That is truly a shame. I'm sorry you had to experience that.

Ack! No pity for me, please! :-)

I pity the people who I worked for because they never bothered to look at my potential for being a good, productive employee and instead concentrated on how I didn't fit into their mold for how a woman should dress or act (how dare I come to work wearing pants and flat shoes with my sweater instead of a skirt and high heels!).

I wanted to throw in my story because it illustrates the gender-related mindset that some people had (hopefully past tense) when it came to hiring, raises, or whatever. That was 10+ years ago, so I hope that practices like theirs are not prevalent any more, but you never know. I hope that others who find themselves in jobs that discriminate against them based on gender, religion, skin color, or whatever--but who can't prove it enough to do anything about it--could find some way to turn the situation into a positive for themselves.

That particular job helped me to develop an inner strength that I might not have had a reason to develop otherwise. Though I wouldn't care to repeat my experiences there, I came out better for it. To use a cliche, it taught me to make lemonade whenever someone handed me lemons. The key is not to let anyone convince you that you don't have much worth. Do the best that you can within the limits set for you, and then use the experience at the bad job as a springboard to move on. Jobs might be scarce, but no job is worth you sacrificing your self esteem.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com