Question about web-based search options?

Subject: Question about web-based search options?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:22:40 -0500

Kay Ethier wondered: <<I'm researching options for adding Search capabilities to websites.>>

I can't provide firsthand experience as an _implementer_ of a search function, but speaking as a user, I abhor the technology. I've rarely had any luck finding what I'm looking for, though often Google has succeeded where the site's own search engine failed me. Note that as someone with a larger than average vocabulary and with considerable skill as an indexer, I'm reasonably confident that the problem lies with the technology rather than with me--I usually try several synonyms before giving up in disgust.

While I have no objection to including a search function, PLEASE don't make that the only tool for finding information. Spend considerable effort developing a site architecture (hierarchy) that lets users browse their way to a solution, and strongly consider developing an index similar to the ones found at the back of a well-indexed book. HTMLIndexer and Deva Tools both offer good indexing features for Web pages.

If you must implement a search function, carefully study how the search software works and how to configure it. For example, a good search engine will also search the header for meta tags. If yours does, make sure to add "meta" keywords to the header of each page so that the search function has some hope of finding pages when the searcher doesn't know your preferred word use; use lots of appropriate synonyms, just as you would in an index. Don't forget to include a brief description of the page contents in the header too, and a title for each page.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com