Re: [Fwd: Re: usability study]

Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: usability study]
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 13:09:19 -0500

Lisa A. Roth wrote:

Whenever I have to do something like that (albeit unofficially), I find that flattery gets me everywhere. Usually I try to take the angle of "I really like where this is going, and here are some ways to be even MORE sure of achieving the goal..." For example:

If I get a "training document" that is really a mess (or even a nightmare), I would probably try to frame it like this:

"I think the target audience is right on, and I think the tone of voice ("you" vs. "the user") is a very good step, but with a better process breakdown/more eye-catching design/<your suggestion here>, we could have even more confidence that our intended message is getting through, and here's why:

OR

"I see that you've provided great detail in the procedures, which will allow even the most inexperienced person to perform the task. That's great. With the reorganization of tasks into a more chronological flow, we could probably ensure better lesson retention because people would have the added benefit of remembering the 'segues' between tasks instead of just the 1-2-3's."

Even if there is lots and lots of BAD, there are always glimmers of the right idea -- or at least signs that someone made an effort (if unsuccessful) of discovering the right idea. Try to take those glimmers and nuggets and build your critique within that framework.

Harrumph!

How about, "This sucks. Fix it or get another job"?

I mean, really, isn't there a point where you are doing more harm than good by letting someone maintain the delusion that their work is satisfactory?

People have to just get over the ego involvement in their work: "I'm sure you're a nice person, a good parent, and a loving spouse. You may even be a great writer. But this document shows no evidence of that. The criticism is not about YOU; it's about the WORDS ON THE PAGE. I can work with you so that you understand how to avoid these errors in the future, but you have to know that this is NOT GOOD ENOUGH!"<curmudgeonspeak/>

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com