Re: New Guy Question - MS Word

Subject: Re: New Guy Question - MS Word
From: Heidi Liebl-Slabinski <hls_ut -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 11:10:38 -0800 (PST)

I have an alternative to Suzy's suggestion, to copy
all but the last paragraph mark into the new document.

It takes more work, and maybe I'm insane for doing
this myself, but I haven't figured out a better way to
keep Styles from getting messed up. (I like my
documents pristine, and when I've pasted new material
into a document it makes me mad when Word stealthily
changes style names or definitions, or adds styles.
It also makes it confusing and frustrating when you're
collaborating, getting material from varied sources,
and trying to maintain a standard, common template.
It's hard to make the funkiness go away once you've
got it!)

Word 2002 has the nifty Clear Formatting option in the
style drop-down. I select what I want to copy, apply
Clear Formatting (sometimes it takes more than once,
since it seems to step back through manual formatting
or character styles applied to text formatted with a
paragraph style), then copy and paste it into the
manual. If I'm doing a large amount, I often do it in
chunks, copying from the original, pasting into a
blank document, clearing formatting, then copying into
the manual. (It's just something that helps me work
better somehow, not really necessary.)

Of course I then go through all the non-formatted
text, happily applying all the styles, etc., which is
easy since I've got keyboard shortcuts for the most
commonly used styles.

This has proven effective at keeping my styles exactly
as I defined them in the template. No funkifying, no
stealthy new styles.

Am I a control freak? Yup... and proud of it!

http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com