RE: W2 to 1099 Conversion Rule Of Thumb?

Subject: RE: W2 to 1099 Conversion Rule Of Thumb?
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 13:39:50 -0500

That's good to hear, and surprising, because the contract pay I've been
quoted over the last few years from agencies was rock bottom, and I found
better-paying work on my own -- not working for companies. The recruiter
always would say that the "current market is depressed" or something like
that. I'd roll my eyes, of course.

I'm glad to hear that perhaps things have changed, though.

Bonnie Granat
http://www.GranatEdit.com

> In my experience discussing w-2 vs 1099 with employers, this
> is not entirely true. They understand how the different
> relationships impact financially and thhat has a bearing on
> negotiations.
>
> Also, most employers are interested in what you last made.
> The market is a factor but so is personal history, and being
> able to present a fair rate with the 1099 impact accounted
> for can only help matters.
>
> Lisa
>

> All you can do is earn what the market will bear. Your
> clients are not interested in your wish to earn on a contract
> the equivalent of what you earned as an employee.
>
> It's just a market -- buyers and sellers. You, as a seller,
> will be able to determine over time what your local market is
> like, and it may have no relationship to your former rate of pay.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com